Friday, May 29, 2009

I am reminded...

I just recently joined Goodreads, because I am a bibliophile at heart and cannot resist the lure of a place to catalog all the books I own, have read, and desire to read. It's just the way I am. But, browsing the never-ending lists of books in any of the genres I particularly enjoy, I found myself despairing of all the books out there that I have not yet read, and all the free time I find myself stuck with, and all the books that I'm not quite ready to re-read yet.

I'm broke as broke, and as much as I'd like to spend lots and lots of money on lots and lots of books, it's hard to justify. Partly because of the student loans looming over my head, but also because don't have enough bookshelves for the books I've got, let alone the ones I desire.

And that's when the duh moment hit me. That's when I was reminded of the glorious building I've eschewed since I went to college, for reasons entirely unknown to me. The shining beacon that called to me twice a week during the summers between my years in high school: the library!

I haven't had a library card in ages, and it's gotten to the point that I'd entirely forgotten such a wonderful place even existed. All this time, I've been dreading the finish of a book, because it would mean I'd have to decide which book out of the many I own to re-read next. And there are problems with my collection, too. Due to mishaps and irresponsible purchasing practices, whole series sit on my shelves incomplete. How can I begin a book in any one series, knowing I'll have to inevitably skip over the book I do not own?! It's madness, it can't be done.

How silly I've been. I have the day off, and Winona has a public library. The math, even for me, is simple. Is it weird that I'm actually salivating at the thought of browsing the stacks again?

Edit: Library card achieved! Now, to finish reading Catch 22, so I can put this bad boy to use!


No comments:

Post a Comment